Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Shibori Ribbon Fan Tutorial

For today, I thought I'd share the tutorial for the Shibori Ribbon Fan that I did on my Peacock Wall Hanging project.

There's so many things you can do with Shibori Ribbon and this is a very easy embellishment for your crazy quilt blocks.

First, you'll need your piece of Shibori ribbon and you'll need to decide where you want to place it.

In the case of my example, I tucked one end underneath the lace, near the seam on the top.  You can tuck your ribbon into any seam on your block or underneath a piece of lace.


Once you have one end tacked down with a few stitches, you'll want to "poof" the top 3/4's of the ribbon.  Look closely at the above photo.  I pinched the ribbon where I wanted the fan to start.

I took a few "tack" stitches where I had the ribbon pinched to hold it in place.  Also, tack the edges of the ribbon down to hold the "poof" in place.

The next step is to fan out the bottom of the ribbon.  Do one side first, tacking along the edge with a few stitches to hold it in place.

Do the same on the other side of the fan.

As a focal point on the "pinch", I added a little hand painted rose lace applique.  You can use anything you like.  A ribbon bow, buttons or a piece of vintage jewelry.  A little focal point brings the eye to the Shibori ribbon.  Just be sure not to crush the little "poof" in your ribbon.


Finally, I did some beading along the edges of the poof as well as the fan.

Again, this is a really easy way to add some Shibori to your crazy quilting!  Give it a try and send me some photos for Crazy Quilt Quarterly magazine.  I'll be starting on the Fall issue soon!

And here is an update of the overall piece:

I started working on the Broiderie Perse Rose applique this morning.  I still have a way to go on that.

Click on the photos to see them up close!








1 comment:

Ruth B said...

Really beautiful! I'll have to get some Shibori ribbon online because I live in a very small town with no access to such things. Thank you for showing us how to use it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails