Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Thursday, January 29, 2015

More On Broiderie Perse Applique

I'm still highlighting the flowers on my applique with Kreinik metallic threads.  The effects are quite lovely:

You may want to click on the photo to see it better.  I still have a bit more to do but as I mentioned yesterday, I love handwork!

I've received several really great questions about Broiderie Perse applique and I will address them here next week.  I want to work up a tutorial for everyone but I need a bit of sewing machine time to do it as well as a fully charged camera battery!

Again, this is a wonderful technique for crazy quilting and I want to make sure that everyone is comfortable in trying it.

I'm wondering, have you ever been intimidated by a technique?  What sort of things have you been wanting to try but just don't know how or where to start?

I ask because I've always been one to just jump in and do it.  I don't know if there's a right way or a wrong way to do any of these things.  I only know my way and if that works, then it's good!

I say that because we've all be taught that there is a certain protocol for everything in life.  And I agree that for the most part, there are right ways of doing things and not so right ways of doing things.  But when it comes to being creative, those protocols can get in the way and limit our creativity.  I think sometimes, they keep us caught in the web of "I don't know how so I can't do it" mindset.

I would suggest that if you were planning to make a traditional "sane" quilt with applique, there would be more rules about it so that it holds up to washing and everyday wear and tear.  But for the most part, crazy quilts cannot be laundered or dry cleaned.  So we can ease up a bit on some of the rules that would apply to traditional quilt making.

So, that's my little piece of philosophy for today!  LOL!!!  Again, I'll post a nice little tutorial here next week.  I really want to see some CQ pieces with Broiderie Perse.  I will publish them in the Fall issue of Crazy Quilt Quarterly.

2 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

So very true that we let rules stand in the way of our creativity. Someone had to make the first one...they had no rules. I guess the "rules" are an accepted way of doing things or the way everyone else does....It makes me think what mothers have told their children, " Well, if they jumped off the bridge would you do the same?"...
Deb

DH said...

I love what you're doing! I think it's beautiful! I have been curious about Broiderie Perse so I am really enjoying your posts and can't wait for the tutorial! Dawn H

Related Posts with Thumbnails