Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!  If you were following my blog last year, you may remember The Cinnamon Bear.  A charming, classic radio show from 1937 consisting of 26, 15 minute episodes.  This is a Christmas tale and was played after school between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  In the Chicago area, where I grew up, it was broadcast on WGN radio.

This sweet little Christmas classic is very dear to my heart.  I decided to broadcast it again for everyone to enjoy throughout the 2014 Christmas season.

Below is my post from Thanksgiving last year.  Please read through it to learn more about The Cinnamon Bear story.  For 2014, the series will start on November 29th.  Each episode will be available at 9:00 am Central time.  One episode will be available each day with the final episode being posted on December 24th.

I hope everyone enjoys The Cinnamon Bear as much as I do.  I listen to it every year, 1 episode per day!

Pam

(Post from Thanksgiving Day 2013 - All about The Cinnamon Bear).


First, I want to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!

A few weeks back, I mentioned that I had something special planned for the upcoming holiday season.  First, let me explain the story behind this.

My father has always loved old time radio shows.  The golden age of radio!  Shows that were broadcast on the radio back in the 40's and the 50's.  Long before television came about.

One of his favorite radio shows, which always aired between Thanksgiving and Christmas, was The Cinnamon Bear.  This classic story consists of 26 - 15 minute episodes which were originally broadcast on the radio in 1937.

When I was little, back in the 60's, my dad played this story for my sister Kathi and I.  They were on reel to reel tape.  Does anyone remember reel to reel?  Then in the 1970's, WGN radio in Chicago, began playing the episodes after school, one every weekday between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

So I basically grew up looking forward to The Cinnamon Bear episodes each holiday season.


The Cinnamon Bear is a charming tale of a set of twins, Judy and Jimmy Barton, who go up the attic of their big old Victorian house one Christmas season to find the Silver Star for the top of their Christmas tree.  Once up in the attic, magic happens!  They meet a precious little teddy bear named Paddy 'O Cinnamon who leads them in their search for the Silver Star. Along the way, they meet all sorts of interesting characters including one, which I'm sure ya'll will love, The Crazy Quilt Dragon!

I don't want to give too much of the story away.  But I do hope you'll stop by my blog every day starting tomorrow as I will be broadcasting this sweet little Christmas story in it's entirety.  I will post 1 episode a day starting tomorrow November, 29th and running through Christmas Eve December, 24th.  Each episode is scheduled to post at 9:00 am Central Time.

Also, if you have children or grandchildren, you might like to print up the following pages.  These pages are from my dad's original The Cinnamon Bear Coloring Book:

I hope that you all enjoy the story of Judy and Jimmy and The Cinnamon Bear.  I would love to hear your comments.

In the meantime, have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!


2 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Now, this wasn't at all what I was expecting! What fun though...thank you for posting these Pam. I am not familiar with these stories, but when I was little (before we had a tv) there was a man that came on the radio just after lunch and read children's stories. I loved them, but can't remember his name or the name of the program.

Frederique said...

Happy thanksgiving too!
I'm running a fabric giveaway, would you like to enter?

Related Posts with Thumbnails