Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Sunday, March 25, 2012

No Pin Code

Although I've had several  kind and understanding people contact me regarding my concerns about Pinterest and copyright infringement, I've also run into a lot of opposition on the subject.  A LOT!

May I say that just because it's on the internet, does not mean that it's free for the taking!  It seems to me that some people don't understand what copyright means or they don't care.  In most cases, it's that they don't care.

I won't get myself or you all worked up with this issue.  I spent years chasing the copyrights for my cross stitch designs all over the internet.  These included patterns that I had for sale, patterns that were published in magazines and books and patterns that I offered for free.  As you know, I no longer sell my cross stitch patterns and I've deleted every free pattern (with the exception of one) that I've ever offered because I got tired of finding them on other peoples sites.  And there was no reason for it!  All anyone ever had to do was to link to my blog.  Well, too bad now!

With all that said, if you would like the instructions on how to add a "no pin" code to your blog, please hop over to Sharon B's Pintangle Blog.  It's very easy to do and I have already added the code to this blog.  You can also find a link at Sharon's blog on how to keep your Flickr photos from being pinned.  I've left Sharon a message asking if she knows where to add the code to my website (I have a little trouble with HTML) and if she's aware of anyway to keep my content at Etsy from being shared.

For those of you on Facebook, no worries there!  Facebook already has a "no pin" code installed on their site.  Photos on Facebook can not be pinned on Pinterest.  At least not at this time.

So in other news, I've been stitching on my bunny pillow:

Other than a bit of cleaning and laundry today, I'm planning on having a good amount of stitching time so we'll see where it goes!

9 comments:

viridian said...

Do you post photos on facebook? If so you might want to check their policies too. Can they use your images however they please? Sometimes the fine print is well hidden!

viridian said...

PS I am a follower who loves your gorgeous work. But if I want to view it, I will come and visit your blog.

SharonLarkin said...

I know that I'm swimming against the tide here but I just haven't found myself at all excited about Pinterest! I did open an account and "pinned" a handful of photos but find that I can't be bothered with it all and can't even remember the last time I went on there LOL

Sandy said...

Adorable pillow. It's a shame that people think they can use other people's things without permission. They don't realize how much work it is to come up with them.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I really appreciated your post, and I too put in the no pin code, but made a sidebar button "This is a *No-Pin* Blog" (please do not copy to Pinterest) just in case something was copied, saved and ends up there.
I presently am trying to get my work off their site but have heard nothing back from them. Will go for another round if they ignore me.
It is frustrating; we share generously, yet people have no respect for that little thing called COPYRIGHT. ACK!
People cannot pin directly from FB, but if the photo is saved, it can be put on Pinterest as that was how I was made aware of the dreaded beast in the first place.
Okay, no need to publish my little rant...sorry! But I genuinely say THANKS! for the post and links.

XXOO~~
Anne

DIAN said...

I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Anonymous said...

Well, this whole Pinterest thing just depresses me good. I loved using it as a place to store ideas and inspiration. I have and always will give credit where it is due. As a writer, and a teacher of writing, I certainly am extra aware of attribution. Sigh. So, what I really want to say here in the comment is how happy I am to have found your blog and how wonderful your work is. Thank you. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Robin said...

Thank you Pam I followed you links and was able to put the no pin on my blogs as well, again thank you.

Laurie said...

I totally understand Pam, if I've pinned anything that was your work, I'll take it off. I haven't taken anything personally from your blog, but wasn't aware that the pictures posted on Pinterest weren't with your approval.
I do love the work on your bunny!

Related Posts with Thumbnails